So here’s a thing that happened: I won a blogging award! woot. Abbie (what a cute spelling!) over at Wanderings & Beautiful Things has nominated yours truly for the prestigious less than 200 followers blog award. Now that my business is out in the streets (haha jk) I’d like to pay it forward and A, give a public thank you/shout out to Abbie before B, following the victory lap rules:
1. Once nominated make a post to thank and link the person that nominated you.
2. Include the Liebster award sticker award somewhere in your post.
3. Nominate 10 other bloggers who have 200 followers or less that you think are worthy of this award. Let them know you have nominated them by commenting on one of their posts. You can nominate the person who tagged you.
4. Answer the 10 questions by the person that nominated you, and create 10 more questions of your own for your nominees.
5. Copy these rules onto your post.
check. Next up, 10 things Abbie wants to know:
1. Why did you start blogging?
oh, this is fun. i have started approximately 17 blogs in the past 6 years or so. each time, it’s been for the sake of my sanity while i’ve been stranded on couches with no cars in the southern suburbs, or desk jobs with very little motivation in the city. folkbird was started partly because i had nothing to do but answer phones and staple interview packets all day, but also because it was christmas and i was feeling whimsical and brave and decided to put myself out there as a musician. clearly, the blog has taken on a smorgasbord identity since then.
2. If you could travel back in time to any year or decade which would you travel to and why?
unfortunately, this question is often awkward for someone with african ancestry like such as myself, because reasons. ha. but not withstanding the actual outcome of history, and assuming Scotty could beam me back to the present at any moment, i would travel back to pre-colonization america because part of my family is native american, and i’ve been totally vibin with the whole, no man owns this land sentiment since housing in the Bay Area has been so dang frustrating for me lately. i think i would really enjoy just living off the land and having a sustainable, healthy pace in life for a little while before i missed all my modern conveniences and decided i wanted to blog about it all. ha.
3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve seen or heard?
the Gospel. but that’s definitely a ‘sunday school’ answer, so my elaborate answer would be children laughing because it reminds me of the promise of the Gospel ~ that God is a good father who has never stopped loving his children and everything sad is coming untrue and nothing is truly broken that will be made whole in the end.
4. If you could trade places with one person (past or present) who would you choose and why?
dang, these are tough. i get super philosophical about stuff like this, so honestly i wouldn’t trade with anybody, but the person who comes to mind is one of my best guy friends because i’ve always been very fascinated by men and masculinity. i think men are such capable and captivating creatures and even though i’m so stoked to enjoy men from the vantage point of being a woman ~ and would never want to change that ~ i would be particularly interested to experience life form his perspective for a little bit; and then when we swapped back like freaky friday i would understand him better.
5. Favorite movie? Or, if you’re like me and can’t choose one, top 3?
definitely going to have to be a top 3: Bella (Eduardo Verastegui), Chaos Theory (Ryan Reynolds), and The Descendants (George Clooney).
told you i am fascinated by men. ha.
6. Favorite food?
LA COMIDA MEXICANAAAA
really just south/central american food in general + texmex + chocolate
7. Favorite place you have ever been to?
i think i’m going to say Santa Cruz, CA with Manitoba as a close second.
8. What is the nicest thing that someone has ever done for you?
a friend of mine bought me the macbook from which i type because she wanted to invest in my music career. bless.
9. What is one goal that you wish to accomplish in your life?
i think i would like to foster at least one child, or host at least one woman who is a refugee or otherwise going through a transition in life and needing a nest to rest in.
10. Name something that makes you extremely happy!
long car rides back home with an excellent soundtrack. bless.
And now for my very own questions I get to ask some of you ::
1. What’s your favorite thing to make/bake/create?
2. What song has been your comfort for a decade?
3. Would you rather explore outer space or the ocean?
4. How do you like to spend your birthdays?
5. What’s the biggest curve ball life has thrown at you so far?
6. How do you get your story fix? Music or movies or books; fiction or non fiction?
7. When do you feel most fully yourself?
8. What’s your current lifestyle footwear? jimmy choo, reef, ariat, nike
9. What was your favorite thing that happened this summer?
10. Where do you like to buy groceries?
and now for the nominees:
Abbie | Wanderings & Beautiful Things
Hilary | even though she might get mad at me. ha.
this guy | Eat at Joe’s
Katherine | quirky and wonderful
jo marr | salty daze
bryanna m. villareal | Lofty Bliss
Laurie | the vibrant life
Stephanie | International Palate
Ok, I think that about wraps this up.